Help the Animals Fund
Animal Services accepts donations and uses such funds for purchasing supplies and services not provided by the City's operating budget.
Some examples of supplies funded by your donations include a third anesthesia machine and scavenger system and a second autoclave for our clinic, which will enable our veterinary unit to perform greater volumes of spay and neuter surgeries. We have also used donations to purchase "Adopt Me" vests for shelter dogs and table throws and tents for offsite adoption events and festivals. Such items help highlight particular dogs or promote the adoption program in general. The offsite adoption events and festival appearances are important in stimulating adoptions, generating public awareness of Animal Services' programs, and building community support for saving more lives.
Contributions may also be used to help support additional veterinary services at the Animal Services Center. Although the City employs a full-time Shelter Veterinarian and a full-time Veterinary Technician, Animal Services establishes contracts with local veterinarians and veterinary technicians to provide coverage for absences, during weekends, and after-hour shifts to ensure that sheltered animals receive quality care. Such contract work also enables Animal Services to provide more spay and neuter surgeries through the Low-Income Spay Neuter (LISN) program.
You can donate to the Help The Animals Fund right now using your credit card.
Honoring & Memorial Gifts
Remembering or honoring an individual or pet with a gift to Rochester Animal Services is a meaningful way to remember someone special. Special occasions such as birthdays, weddings, anniversaries or holidays are other times when donations can be a meaningful gift. To make a gift in honor of someone online, click the donation button above and please send a message to AnimalServices@cityofrochester.gov explaining the purpose for your contribution and to whom acknowledgments should be directed. If you would prefer to mail a donation, please send a check made payable to Rochester Animal Services to:
Animal Services Center
184 Verona Street
Rochester, NY 14608
Fun Racing & Fundraising
Join Rochester Animal Services and the Verona Street Animal Society (VSAS) for The Fast & The Furriest® on Saturday June 6, 2015. The event features 10K and 5K road races, a 1-mile dog walk, pet festival, and live music. The purpose of the event is to raise awareness and funds to support spay/neuter, adoption, foster care, and other programs provided by Animal Services. To learn more about the event and how you can get involved visit www.VSAS.org, call us at 585-237-8366, or email VSASinc@gmail.com.
RAS welcomes donations of a variety of items that help to maintain or improve the care and comfort for animals while at the shelter. Our wish list includes:
- Dry cat and dog food*
- Canned cat and dog food*
- Pet Ear Thermometer
- Pet Friendly Ice Melt
- Lint Rollers
- Powder OxiClean
- 6-foot leashes
- Professional grooming clippers
- Heating pads (for newborns and injured animals)
- Liquid laundry detergent
- Peanut Butter (low fat and regular)
- Squeeze Cheeze
- Easy Walk Harnesses - Size Medium/Large
- Bully sticks
- Laundry baskets
- Pig ears
- Pet shampoo
- Pet carriers & training crates
- Puzzle feeders/Enrichment toys for dogs and cats
- Liquid dish soap
- Rubbing alcohol
- Plastic storage bins with lids
- Folding chairs for off-site events
- Fruit-scented air fresheners
- Puppy training pads/Chux/underpads
- Unopened cat food and cat litter (for foster homes)
- Baby food (meat varieties only)
- Extracts (Vanilla, Cinnamon, Clove, Peppermint, Lavender, Lemon, Strawberry, Coconut)
- Gas cards and pre-paid credit cards for volunteers to transport animals to distant shelters
* Animal Services feeds Hills Science Diet pet foods at the shelter. To avoid stomach upset associated with changing foods, we respectfully request that any donated foods be from that same manufacturer. Contact us at 585-428-7274 for specific products used at the shelter. Foods from other manufactueres may be provided to our pets in foster care or to the general public.
Give a pet a bed
Our dogs and cats love to sleep on Kuranda Pet Beds, but we do not have enough for everyone. If you would like to donate a bed at a special wholesale price for a shelter cat or dog to sleep in comfort, please click on the link above.
For more information about how your donation can help, please call (585) 428-7274 or email the Animal Services Center.