The City Clerk's Office (located in City Hall, 30 Church Street, Room 100A, Rochester NY, 14614) issues passports to American citizens. If you would like to apply for a passport, please arrive to the office by 4:30 p.m. *NOTE: We can not accept a passport application from the U.S. Department of State website printed on both front and back. Please print the application one-sided if you are bringing it with you to the office.*
Passports are generally issued for:
- Travel outside of the United States, and most recently to countries that have not normally required a passport for entry, like Canada and Mexico
- Establishing identity
- For persons sixteen and older, a passport book is $135 (separate checks of $25 payable to the "City of Rochester" and $110 payable to "US Dept. of State")
- For persons age fifteen and younger, the fee for a passport book is $105 (separate checks of $25 payable to the "City of Rochester" and $80 payable to "US Dept. of State)
- Passports for adults are valid for ten years; passports for young people are valid for five years.
- Applicants will need two full-faced photographs (2x2) without hats or scarves,
- A certified copy of a birth certificate (or US Citizen papers), and
- A current driver's license, non-driver ID card, or other government issued photo ID.
- Children 15 years of age and under must appear with both parents. Persons 16 to 17 years of age must appear with one parent.
Passport Cards: for certain land border crossings
In addition to passport books, passport cards are available. Passport Cards are wallet-sized passports that are convenient and less expensive than regular passport books. However, the U.S. Passport Card cannot be used for international air travel. This new travel document can be used to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry.
Passport Card Fees
- For persons sixteen and older, a passport card is $55 (separate checks of $25 payable to the "City of Rochester" and $30 payable to "US Dept. of State")
- For persons age fifteen and younger, the fee for a passport card is $40 (separate checks of $25 payable to the "City of Rochester" and $15 payable to "US Dept. of State").
- If a passport book and a passport card are purchased at the same time, the local processing fee (to the City of Rochester) is only charged once.
For additional information, call (585) 428-6617 Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.