The Rochester Police Department recommends the following precautions:
- Park in a well-lighted area
- Close all windows, lock all doors
- Activate any theft deterrent device you may have
- Put packages or valuable out of sight: CB radios, tape and cassette decks and other expensive items in full view invite theft.
- If you park in a commercial lot or garage, leave only the ignition key with the attendant.
- Do not keep license, registration or title in car. If left in car, thieves can use these documents to sell your car if stolen, or to impersonate you when they are challenged by police. Owners who indiscriminately leave keys, registrations and other identifiable material in their vehicles may return to their residence only to find that they are the victims of a burglary.
- If you have a garage, use it. Lock both the vehicle and the garage.
Chief Sheppard encourages citizens to contact an area neighborhood service center for additional crime prevention tips.