Rochester City Council
For Immediate Release: May 18, 2012
Councilmember Carolee A. Conklin, Chair of City Council’s Finance Committee, announced that the Council has scheduled its review process for the Mayor’s proposed 2012-2013 City budget. The City Council, which conducts the most extensive public analysis of any local municipal budget, will convene a process that includes lengthy departmental review sessions, as well as an opportunity for public input before the final budget votes are cast. Reinstated this year will be a hearing for an extensive review of Rochester City School District 2012-2013 Budget.
This will be the fifth consecutive year that the Council’s budget hearings will be broadcast live on the City’s government cable access channel, City 12. This access allows interested City residents and business owners an opportunity to watch the Council’s in-depth review of the Mayor’s and the Rochester City School District's proposed spending plans. All of the hearings are open to the public, and interested citizens are welcome to attend.
Residents will also have an opportunity to offer comments about the City’s and the City School District’s proposed budgets at a formal public hearing to be held by the City Council and the Board of Education on Wednesday, June 13 at 5:30 p.m. in the Council Chambers. Copies of the proposed City budget are available for review online at www.cityofrochester.gov/budget201213, in City Public Libraries, and at City Hall in Rooms 200A and 300A. The public is encouraged to call the Council Office at (585) 428-7538 if they have questions about the review process. Council is expected to vote on both of these proposed spending plans at the June Council Meeting which will be held on June 19 at 7:30 p.m.
In addition to Councilmember Conklin, the Finance Committee is comprised of Councilmembers Carla M. Palumbo and Loretta C. Scott, as well as ex-officio members President Lovely A. Warren and Vice-President Dana K. Miller.
Listed below is the schedule for this year’s budget hearings (note that all hearings will take place in Council Chambers):
- 9-9:10 a.m. – Council/Clerk
- 9:15-10:45 a.m. – Administration
- 10:50-11:55 a.m. – Finance
- 12-12:55 p.m. – Break for Lunch
- 2-2:45 p.m. – Department of Environmental Services
- 2:50-3:20 p.m. – Library
- 3:25- 5 p.m. – Department of Recreation and Youth Services
- 9-9:30 a.m. – Undistributed
- 9:35-10:50 a.m. – Police Department
- 10:55am-12:30 p.m. – Fire Department
- 12:35-1:25 p.m. – Lunch
- 1:30-2:05 p.m. – Emergency Communications
- 2:10-3:10 p.m. – Information Technology
- 3:15-5 p.m. – Neighborhood and Business Development
- 2 p.m. – Rochester City School District
- 5:30 p.m. – Formal Public Hearing with City Council and Board of Education
Media Contact: Andrea Guzzetta, (585) 428-7538