City of Rochester
(Wednesday, June 27, 2012) – Mayor Thomas S. Richards announced today that the first Cool Sweep operation of the 2012 summer season will be offered Thursday, June 28, in anticipation of temperatures that are expected to exceed 85 degrees.
Cool Sweep—presented by RG&E—is the City’s annual public safety and customer service program to help city residents who have limited opportunities to find relief from summer heat. A Cool Sweep operation is triggered when the forecast calls for a day to reach 85 degrees.
“Cool Sweep is an opportunity to offer some fun ways for families to beat the heat,” Mayor Richards said. “I urge all city residents to take advantage of Cool Sweep, enjoy swimming pools during the hot weather and take the necessary steps to stay healthy and safe by staying cool.”
“Supporting and participating in the Cool Sweep Program is a natural fit for us since the focus of the program is on safety and customer service, two priorities in our business,” said Mark S. Lynch, president of NYSEG and RG&E.
The Cool Sweep operation employs the use of a cooling spray from fire hydrants, from noon to 4 p.m., and extended hours at City pools and Durand Eastman Beach. The use of City spray parks, from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m., and pools in certain city high schools are also available to the public.
Cool Sweep Hydrant locations are:
School No. 22 parking lot, 27 Zimbrich St.;
- School No. 41 parking lot, 279 W. Ridge Road;
- Roxie A. Sinkler Recreation Center, 75 Grover St.;
- Baden Park gateway, Vienna Street.
Spray Park locations are:
Carter Street Community Center Spray Park, 500 Carter St.;
- Edgerton Community Center Spray Park, 41 Backus St.;
- Fourth and Peck Playground (spray feature only, not a full spray park), corner of Fourth and Peck Streets;
- Humboldt Community Center Spray Park, 1045 Atlantic Ave.;
- Manhattan Square Park (spray feature only, not a full spray park), 25 Manhattan Square Drive;
- David F. Gantt Community Center, 700 North St.
- Thomas P. Ryan Community Center Spray Park, 530 Webster Ave.;
- Troup Street Park (spray feature only, not a full spray park), Troup and Van Auker Streets.
Recreation Center cooling area:
Carter Street Gym, 500 Carter Street (air conditioning only).
Swimming opportunities also are available at:
- Adams Street Community Center Pool, 85 Adams St., noon to 9 p.m. (Cool Sweep hours), Monday to Friday, 9:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m.; Saturday, 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.; Sunday, 11 to 1 p.m. and 1 to 5:30 p.m. (regular hours)
- Avenue D Community Center Pool, 200 Avenue D., 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. (Cool Sweep hours), Monday through Friday, 11 a.m. to 8:45 p.m.; Saturday, 11 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (regular hours)
- Durand Eastman Beach, 1000 Lakeshore Blvd. Lot A only, Lifeguards on duty from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. (Cool Sweep hours), Sunday to Saturday, 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. (regular hours)
- Flint Street Community Center Pool, 271 Flint St., 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. (Cool Sweep hours), 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. (regular hours)
- Genesee Valley Park Pool, 131 Elmwood Ave., noon to 9 p.m. (Cool Sweep hours), Monday through Friday, 1 to 4:45 p.m., 6 to 8:30 p.m.;
- Saturday, 10 a.m. to 4:45 p.m., 6 to 8:30 p.m.; Sundays 10 to 4:45 p.m., 6 to 8:30 p.m. (regular hours)
- East High School, 1801 East Main St., Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (regular and Cool Sweep hours)
- Northeast/Northwest at Frederick Douglass High School Pool, 940 Fernwood Park, (Tennis Court entrance), Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (regular and Cool Sweep hours)
- Wilson Foundation Academy at Madison High School Pool, 200 Genesee St. (Dr. Samuel McCree Way entrance), Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (regular and Cool Sweep hours)
- Marshall High School Pool, 180 Ridgeway Ave. (Avis Street entrance), Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (regular and Cool Sweep hours)
- Monroe High School Pool, 164 Alexander Street (use Pearl St. entrance) Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (regular and Cool Sweep hours)
When temperatures exceed 90 degrees, a Heat Emergency is declared and the Cool Sweep program extends into City branch library locations where residents can stay in an air conditioned building. There will not be standardized opening times during the week, but closing times will be at 9 p.m. Saturday hours will be from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Cool Sweeps and Heat Emergencies will not be held on Sundays.
Library cooling areas:
- Arnett Branch Library, 310 Arnett Blvd.
- Lincoln Branch Library, 851 Joseph Ave.
- Maplewood Branch Library, 1111 Dewey Ave.
- Winton Road Branch Library, 611 N. Winton Rd.
For more information on Cool Sweep hours and locations, the public is invited to call the Genesee Valley Park Pool at 428-7888.
News Media: For more information, contact John Picone, Director of Aquatics, at 202-2263.