City of Rochester
(Tuesday, Dec. 17 2013) - The City’s annual Winter Adventures Series begins Wednesday, Dec. 18 with the first of many Urban Gardening Talks and the start of the popular Snow Cheap Trail Race series.
The 2013-14 Winter Adventures Series, sponsored by the City, Wegmans and MVP Healthcare, offers a full repertoire of fun, diverse activities designed to get help people enjoy the natural beauty of Rochester and stay active during the winter months. In addition to gardening talks and trail races, the series includes guided snowshoe hikes, a winter photo contest, ice skating and the popular Lakeside Winter Fest.
The Urban Gardening Talks provide an excellent opportunity to prepare for the spring planting season. The first talk will be held from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. Wednesday at the Cornell Cooperative Extension offices, 249 Highland Ave. The topic will be using native plants.
Other gardening talks covering will be held on the following dates and times:
• Jan. 11: Gardening with Youth, Noon to 1 p.m., Sully Branch Library, 530 Webster Ave.;
• Jan. 15: Homeopathy and Herbal Medicine, 6:30 to 7:30 p.m., Cornell Cooperative Extension offices, 249 Highland Ave.;
• Jan. 25: Raising Urban Chickens, 11 a.m.to noon, Phillis Wheatley Library, 33 Dr. Samuel McCree Way.
• Feb. 8: Ecological Gardening, Noon to 1 p.m., Maplewood Branch Library, 1111 Dewey Ave.
• Feb. 19, Cut Flower Production, 6:30 to 7:30 p.m., Cornell Cooperative Extension offices, 249 Highland Ave.
• Feb. 22: Composting 101, 11 a.m. to Noon, Winton Road Branch Library, 611 N. Winton Road;
• March. 1: Seed Saving, 11 a.m. to Noon, Monroe Branch Library, 809 Monroe Ave.
• Mar. 19, Spring Garden Tips, 6:30 to 7:30 p.m., Cornell Cooperative Extension offices, 249 Highland Ave.
• Apr. 16, Rochester’s Horticultural History, 6:30 to 7:30 p.m., Cornell Cooperative Extension offices at 249 Highland Ave.
The Snow Cheap Trail Race Series is a fun, low-key foot or snowshoe race series at Cobbs Hill Park on certain Wednesday Nights from December into March. Races begin at the Lake Riley Lodge, at the corner of Norris Drive and Culver Road.
Pre-registration is required no later than 6:45 p.m. on the day of the race. Races will be held snow or no snow, snowshoes or no snowshoes. Headlamps are required for all races.
A Post-race party with snacks and door prizes is included. Registration is $12 for a single race or $50 for the entire series.
For more details and to register, please visit www.FleetFeetRochester.com. Snowshoes are available for rent at Fleet Feet Sports, 2210 Monroe Ave., 732-1090 and the City of Rochester Bureau of Recreation, 400 Dewey Ave., 428-6755. Limited rentals are available, so be sure to reserve in advance.
The remaining races will be held in 2014 on: Jan. 8, Jan. 22; Feb. 5; Feb. 19 and March 5.
Visit www.cityofrochester.gov/winteradventures to learn more about the Winter Adventure Series.
News Media: For more information, Contact Assistant Director of Recreation Jim Farr at (585) 428-6866.