The Rochester Fire Department will test for the position of Firefighter on December 19, 2015.
- Application must be received or post marked by October 2, 2015, otherwise the application will be rejected.
- A $25.00, non-refundable, Examination Application Fee is charged for the City of Rochester to process a candidate's examination application. It is not a fee for the examination itself.
- All exam candidates for Firefighter must be residents of the City of Rochester, pursuant to Rule VII of the Rules of the Civil Service Commission of the City of Rochester, at time of submission of application.
You can download an Adobe PDF application form by clicking on this link, Civil Service Applicaton
You can also apply on-line on the City of Rochester Job Opportunities page
Description of Duties
This work primarily consists of preventing loss of life and damage to property resulting from fires or other life-threatening situations. I includes the fighting and prevention of fires, rescue, emergency medical service, and inspection. Work is often physical stressful and strenuous. Firefighters receive intensive training as recruits and detailed instruction at the fire scene from supervisors. Routine inspection and maintenance work is performed under general supervision. Firefighters perform related work as required. Candidates must:
- Have a high school diploma or equivalent;
- Possession of a valid driver's license at time background investigations begin;
- Possession of a valid New York State Driver's license at time of appointment;
- Candidate must be at least eighteen (18) years of age at time of appointment;
- Candidates must successfully complete the Rochester Fire Academy training within six months of appointment;
- Must pass a medical examination that will cover areas such as, but not limited to vision, drug test, hearing and blood pressure;
- Possession of an Emergency Medical Technician (EMT- BASIC) certificate issued by New York State Department of Health, Bureau of Emergency Medical Services within twelve (12) months of appointment. This certificate must be maintained throughout employment in this title.
Scope of Exam
Part I, the Written test - This written test will be in multiple choice format and will test for general abilities needed to succeed in entry-level Firefighter training and on the job. No previous knowledge of firefighting work is necessary to succeed on this test
- Reading Ability - these questions test your ability to read, retain, recall, and comprehend written material.
- Mathematical Reasoning - these questions test your ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide.
- Map Reading - these questions test your ability to read street maps and to orient yourself with basic written instructions pertaining to a graphical map.
- Human Relations - these questions test for your interpersonal competencies
- Practical Skills - these questions test your practical skills related to spatial rotation and mechanical aptitude.
Printed study guides for the written test will be available by Friday, August 14, in Room 103-A, City Hall, 30 Church Street, Rochester, New York 14614, 585-428-7115. The Study guide can also be downloaded as a PDF file (Adobe Acrobat Reader is necessary to open this file), until the application deadline date of October 2, at: Study Guide for Firefighter Civil Exam
Part 2, the qualifying Physical Agility Screening Test, to be given at a later date, is an aerobic cardiovascular endurance test which consists of a series of timed 20 meter runs to determine whether a candidate possesses a minimum VO2 or oxygen uptake level.
Part 3, the Background Investigation - The scope of the background investigation will include but not be limited to the following areas:
- Records of Education
- Military Service
- Criminal Record
- Driving Record
- Illegal Drug Usage
- Starting Salary: $41,327; increases to $77,941 in five years;
- Paid holidays
- Paid vacation
- Life insurance
- Uniform allowance
- Dental and medical coverage
- Non-traditional work schedule
Complete an online Prospective RFD Member Information survey to have a recruiter contact you (Survey)
Visit our Recruitment Frequently Asked Questions section to view answers to commonly asked questions.