Rochester celebrates National Hispanic Heritage Month from Sept. 15 to Oct. 15, 2013
The Hispanic Heritage Committee of Rochester is proud to celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month with series of events that highlight Latino Culture.
Mayor Thomas S. Richards and Rochester City Councilwoman Jacklyn Ortiz will read a Proclamation at a City Hall ceremony at noon Monday, Sept. 16, 2013 to kickoff the month.
After the proclamation, students from Wilson Foundation will reveal the 23 National flags of Latin America, which will be unfurled from the mezzanine overlooking the City Hall Atrium, where they will remain during Hispanic Heritage Month. Light refreshments will be served after the ceremony.
Also during this month of celebration, works of art depicting the contributions of Rochester’s Hispanic community will be on exhibit in the City Hall Link Gallery and Visitor’s Lobby. Rochester-area youth who submitted some of the works will be recognized at an award ceremony on Oct. 18 in the Edgerton Community Center, 41 Backus St. from 5 to 8 p.m.
Events hosted by the City’s Hispanic Heritage Planning Committee
- Lunch and Learn: Wednesday, Sept. 18, noon to 1pm, City Hall Room 208A (registration required). RSVP to Janet Gomez at 428-7515 or by email at HispanicHeritageMonth@cityofrochester.gov.
- Honoring Our Abuelitos: Thursday, Sept. 26, 6 to 8:30 p.m., St. Michael’s, 869 N. Clinton Avenue. Collaborative efforts with the Hispanic Community Center and Ibero’s programs: Project HOPE and Centro de Oro. Recognition of a Latino senior, dancing, live music and food.
- 3rd Annual Latino College Fair: Friday, Oct. 11, 10 to12:30 p.m., Blue Cross Arena. Rochester City School District (RCSD) Junior and High School students will have an opportunity to stop by a dozen local agencies and colleges in one place. Motivational guest speaker and Spanish appetizers. For additional information, contact Albert Algarin, Jr. at 441-2512 or by email at HispanicHeritageMonth@cityofrochester.gov.
- Dancing to Latino Rhythms: Tuesday, Oct. 15, noon to 1p.m., City Hall Council Chambers. Professional dance instructor from Borinquen Dance Company (registration required). RSVP to Janet Gomez at 428-7515 or by email at HispanicHeritageMonth@cityofrochester.gov.
- Latino Art Link/Documentary with Norma Holland: Wednesday, Oct. 16, 5:30 to 8:30 p.m., City Hall Atrium. Historical photographs of local Hispanic families and sites in the early 80’s on display, paintings and crafts from RCSD students, live 3-guitar acoustical music and light appetizers.
- Latino Youth Performing Arts Expo: Friday, Oct. 18, 5 to 8 p.m., Edgerton Community Center, 41 Backus Street. Evening of dining and entertainment featuring talented local youth and cultural display represented by all City recreation centers.
- Latino Gala: Friday, Oct. 25, 6 – midnight, Harro East Ballroom, 155 N. Chestnut Street. Dinner, live music and entertainment. Tickets for this event are $30 per person and can be purchased at D’Mangu at 1475 E. Henrietta Rd., El Pilon at 1038 N. Clinton Ave., Henry’s Check Cashing at 1143 Joseph Ave
To learn more
For more information, you may call 311 or (585) 428-5990. Be sure to stay up to date by visiting the Hispanic Heritage Month's Facebook page.