Street and Sidewalk Right-of-Way Permits

Are you doing construction work or placing signs/tables/awnings/etc in public right-of-way?

The right-of-way includes all City streets, street pavement, curbing, sidewalks, the area between the curb and the sidewalk, and in most residential areas it generally includes a zero to four (4) foot width of land between the sidewalk and the home.

A permit is required for all work and activities performed in the right-of-way.

Examples include excavation, driveway and curb modifications, encroachments, obstructions or barricades, sidewalk cafes, new water services and renewals, water abandonments and use of hydrants.

Sidewalk Cafes – Flower City Winter Sidewalks 2020/2021

In response to COVID-19, the City of Rochester is expanding opportunities for restaurants, bars, and retail establishments to utilize spaces beyond the sidewalks, including parking lanes and erection of temporary enclosures. We understand that there will be a number of creative proposals and we will do our best to expedite permits for enclosures that range from tents to igloos and greenhouse structures. With that being said, safety is the highest priority when it comes to reviewing each submittal. In the interest with helping you maintain your business, there will be NO FEE for this permit. For additional information visit:

To obtain a Right-of-Way Sidewalk Café permit, see the below application and guidance information:



The City supports the deployment and expansion of telecommunications facilities, networks and associated technology in the right-of-way. The City has adopted a telecommunications code, the Telecommunications Code of the City of Rochester (“Code”), Chapter 106. Applicants should familiarize themselves with the Code requirements as well as the Rules and Regulations for Work in the Right-of-Way.

Permit Applicants are required to complete the Registration Application Requirements, as set forth in Code Section 106-5, prior to submitting a right-of-way permit application.

For additional information, refer to Rules and Regulations for Work in the Right-of-Way Section 9, “Telecommunications.”


How to apply for a permit  

New:  the City of Rochester now offers an on-line Right of Way Permit application.  Click here to apply>> 

 Tip: Call or email the Permit Office well in advance of any scheduled work to obtain early guidance.

Complete a permit application and submit plans, drawings, schedule of work, applicable permit fee and, in the case of telecommunications facilities or equipment, a completed registration to:

City of Rochester Permit Office
City Hall
30 Church St. Room 121-B
Rochester, NY 14614


Contact the Department of Environmental Services' Permit Office by phone at (585) 428-6848, by email or in person. 

The office is open Monday through Friday, between 9 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. 


Useful Documents & Forms

City of Rochester Rules and Regulations for Work in the Right-of-Way

Permit Fees for Work in the Public Right-of-Way

Right-of-Way Permit Application 

Telecommunications Code of the City of Rochester (“Code”), Chapter 106

Telecom Facility Registration Application

Telecom Facility Registration Fee Schedule