Parking tickets may be issued for parking:
- More than twelve hours on-street in designated areas (six hours for trucks).
- At a meter after time has expired.
- On the wrong side of a street with alternate parking.
- In a loading zone.
- In a no-parking zone.
- Less than five feet from a driveway.
- In a no-standing zone or stopping in a no-stopping zone.
- Less than fifteen feet from a fire hydrant.
- On a sidewalk.
- Contrary to snow ordinance regulations.
- Without displaying a valid handicapped permit.
- Without displaying a valid inspection certificate.
- Without displaying a valid certificate of registration.
- Contrary to other City and State parking regulations as applicable.
Payment for parking tickets can be made in the following ways:
- In person at 42 South Avenue [ Map ], paying with cash, check, money order or card (Discover, MasterCard, Visa only).
- No payments for tickets are accepted after 4:45 p.m.
- No scofflaw clearances or releases from the pound are accepted after 4:30 p.m.
- By mail, send check or money order to:
Parking Violations Bureau,
City of Rochester, 42 South Ave, Rochester, NY 14604-1712.
- Online, paying with card.
Fines from parking tickets must be paid within 30 days of a ticket's issue date. If not, fines increase according to the table below.
Parking Violation Fines
All listed fines ALREADY INCLUDE a $15 NYS surcharge, and handicapped fines ALREADY INCLUDE a $30 NYS surcharge.
|If Initial Fine Value Is:
|After 30 Calendar Days, Fine Plus Late Fee Is:
|After 75 Calendar Days, Fine Plus Late Fee Is:
|After 90 Calendar Days, Ticket Is In Default, Goes To Collection:
Hearings for Tickets:
When parking tickets are issued by the City of Rochester, recipients of these tickets have the right to contest them, if they wish, in a legal proceeding known as a hearing.
Hearings for parking tickets take place at either 9:00 a.m. or 1:00 p.m., Monday through Friday (no holidays or weekends) at the City’s Parking and Municipal Code Violations Bureau, 42 South Ave., Rochester, NY 14604. Municipal code violations are heard only on Wednesdays.
Sign-in for morning hearings begin at 8:30 a.m. and close at 10 a.m. Numbers are given out at 12:15 p.m. and sign-in begins at 12:30 p.m. and closes at 2 p.m. for afternoon hearings.
Individuals contesting tickets are known as respondents. Respondents are called into a hearing, usually on a first-come, first-served basis (in the order of signing in when they arrive).
Respondents who fail to appear for a scheduled hearing will be found guilty by default, and an entry of civil judgment will be filed.
Municipal Code Tickets
The City’s Property Code details the requirements for maintaining residential and commercial buildings and properties. Tickets issued for code violations can be paid in person at 42 South Avenue, or they can be paid by mail.
Hearings for tickets related to property violations are only on Mondays and Tuesdays. Hearings for other municipal code violations are heard only on Wednesdays.
As with parking tickets, municipal code violation ticket fines have late fees added if they are not paid within thirty days of being issued.
Municipal Codes Violation Fines:Twenty-five ($25) to ten thousand ($10,000) dollars per violation.
You have the right to appeal the determination of the Hearing Examiner only if your plea is NOT GUILTY. YOU MUST ALSO STATE YOUR REASON FOR APPEAL ON THE APPEAL APPLICATION (link below). No appeal will be permitted on a plea of "Guilty with an explanation" except upon final determinations resulting from possible errors of fact or law. You must file your request for appeal WITHIN THIRTY (30) calendar days from the date of your original hearing on this matter.
Appeal request form
Authorization for Others’ Appearance
A vehicle or property owner may authorize someone else to appear on his or her behalf at a hearing. To authorize such an appearance, please use the appropriate affidavit below: