City of Rochester
(Monday, June 24, 2013) – Mayor Thomas S. Richards announced that the Cool Sweep operation enacted on Monday June 24, will be extended through Wednesday, June 26 in anticipation of temperatures forecasted to remain at 85 degrees or above.
Cool Sweep—presented by RG&E—is the City’s annual public safety and customer service program to help city residents who have limited opportunities to find relief from summer heat. A Cool Sweep operation is triggered when the forecast calls for a day to reach 85 degrees.
The Cool Sweep operation employs the use of a cooling spray from fire hydrants and extended hours at City pools and Durand Eastman Beach. The use of City spray parks and pools in certain city high schools are also available to the public.
Cool Sweep hydrant locations (noon to 4 p.m.):
• School No. 22 parking lot, 27 Zimbrich St.; • School No. 41 parking lot, 279 W. Ridge Rd.; • Roxie A. Sinkler Recreation Center, 75 Grover St.; • Baden Park gateway, Vienna Street.
Cool Sweep spray park locations (10 a.m. to 8 p.m.):
• Carter Street Community Center, 500 Carter St.; • Edgerton Community Center, 41 Backus St.; • Humboldt Community Center, 1045 Atlantic Ave.; • David F. Gantt Community Center, 700 North St.; • Thomas P. Ryan Community Center, 530 Webster Ave.; • Fourth and Peck Playground (spray feature only, not a full spray park), corner of Fourth and Peck Streets; • Manhattan Square Park (spray feature only, not a full spray park), 25 Manhattan Square Dr.;
• Troup Street Park (spray feature only, not a full spray park), Troup and Van Auker Streets.
Cool Sweep swimming opportunities are available at:
• Adams Street Community Center Pool, 85 Adams St., noon to 9 p.m.
• Avenue D Community Center Pool, 200 Avenue D, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.
• Durand Eastman Beach, 1000 Lakeshore Blvd. Lot A only, Lifeguards on duty from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.
• Flint Street Community Center Pool, 271 Flint St., 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.
• Genesee Valley Park Pool, 131 Elmwood Ave., noon to 9 p.m.
• East High School, 1801 East Main St., 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
• Marshall High School Pool, 180 Ridgeway Ave. (Avis Street entrance), Monday and Wednesday 9 a.m. to 8 p.m., Tuesday 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
• Monroe High School Pool, 164 Alexander St. (Pearl St. entrance), 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
• Thomas Jefferson High School, 1 Edgerton Pk. (entrance on west side of building), 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
• Joseph C. Wilson Magnet High School, 501 Genesee St. (main building entrance), 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
For more information on Cool Sweep hours and locations, the public is invited to call the Genesee Valley Park Pool at 428-7888.
News Media: For more information, contact John Picone, Director of Aquatics, at 202-2263.