Food Trucks

*COVID-19 Response Update: Effective Monday, November 23, 2020, the Rochester City Clerk’s Licensing Office, Room 100A, will be opened from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m., Monday – Friday for some of the licenses it processes for walk-in service and by appointment only.  We appreciate your patience.  

 *For a list of services, please click on the following link:  

 COVID-19 Clerk’s Licensing Office List of Services 

Food Truck/Trailer/Cart Vending

On June 1, 2013, the City of Rochester's first-ever Food Truck Pilot Program launched Downtown. This page is a resource for vendors interested in participating in the program and food truck/trailer/cart vendors looking for licensing information and policies on vending in the city.

What type of license do I need to operate a food truck/trailer/cart?

Vending in the City of Rochester is governed by Chapter 60 of the Code of the city of Rochester. You will need a solicitor's license to vend at approved locations within the city.

How do I apply for a solicitor’s license to operate a food truck/trailer/cart?

1. Fill out an application.
Applications are available at: The City Clerk’s Licensing Office, City Hall Room 100A. Along with the application, you must attach:

  • Minimum of $1,000,000 comprehensive liability insurance coverage,
  • New York State Sales Tax Certificate,
  • New York State Health Department permit, and 
  • List of all employees’ names and a photo copy of their government identification. 

2. Complete a Fire Safety Training class.
Additional details regarding food truck fire safety are available at If you still have questions, email Firefighter Kucewicz for information.

3. Pass an inspection conducted by the License Investigation Unit of the Rochester Police Department and the Fire Safety Division of the Rochester Fire Department.

Note: It could take up to 30 days to process the application, please plan accordingly.

What is the cost of a solicitor's license?

  • $7: Application fee (which is deducted from the licensing fee)
  • $1,000: Fee for license to vend from a truck in Center City locations and approved locations outside of Center City
  • $330: Fee for license to vend from a truck only in approved locations outside of the Center City
  • $750: Fee for license to vend from a cart in Center City locations and approved locations outside of Center City
  • $250: Fee for license to vend from a cart only in approved locations outside of the Center City
  • $56: Three-day Special Promotion Event Solicitor License
  • $100: Special Promotion Event Solicitor License for the calendar year
  • $24: The fee for each identification badge except for one badge issued with the license at no cost 
  • $10: Fee for each replacement license or identification badge 
  • All food trailer vendors shall pay an annual fee based on one of the following three options:
    1. $100 for vending at private events pursuant to Chapt. 60-10 and at events conducted on private property pursuant to a temporary zoning permit issued pursuant to Zoning Code Chapt. 120-149 (A)(10);
    2. $100 for vending only at special events authorized in accordance with Chapt. 60-9; or
    3. $150 for vending at all events fitting within either of the two categories described in clauses (a) and (b) above.

 Food Trucks in the Center City District

Licensed trucks that paid the $1,000 fee may vend in the spots listed below from 7 a.m. to 2 a.m., unless indicated otherwise. 
Each spot can accommodate two trucks unless indicated otherwise. 
Please note that the Chief of Police establishes vending restrictions during special events.

  • Alexander St. (south of East Ave.): 2 trucks
  • Andrews St. (opposite Water St.): 2 trucks
  • Broad St. (west of South Ave.): 2 trucks - temporarily closed due to construction
  • Elm St. (east of S. Clinton Ave.): 5 trucks
  • East Ave. (north of Stillson St.): 2 trucks 
  • Court St. (east of Chestnut St.): 2 trucks
  • Cascade Dr. (north of Industrial St.): 2 trucks
  • St. Mary's Place (north of Woodbury Blvd.): 1 truck only
  • State St. (south of Morrie Silver Way): 5 trucks
  • Pleasant St. (east of N. Clinton Ave.): 3 trucks

Outside of the Center City District

Food Truck Vending is allowed in legal parking spots that comply with Chapter 60 of the City Code.

The Harbortown District

Food truck vending is currently prohibited.


Food truck vending requires an additional permit from the County or the City depending on the park.

For the following parks, contact the City of Rochester Department of Recreation and Youth Services at (585) 428-6755

  • Cobbs Hill Park
  • Martin Luther King Jr. Park at Manhattan Square
  • Durand Beach
  • Genesee Valley Park West

For the following parks, contact: Monroe County at (585) 753-7275

  • Highland Park
  • Seneca Park
  • Genesee Valley Park East
  • Durand Eastman Park (south of Lakeshore Blvd)
  • NOTE: Vending is prohibited at Ontario Beach Park because it is part of the Harbortown district.

Private Property (outside Center City and Harbortown vending district)

Vending on private property is allowed with a Certificate of Zoning Compliance (CZC) issued by the Director of Buildings and Zoning. To apply for a CZC, please call (585) 428-7044. 

Public Market

Vending at the Public Market requires authorization from the Supervisor of the Public Market. Vendors at the Market do not need a solicitor’s license, but must have all other applicable inspections.Vending at the Public Market requires authorization from the Supervisor of the Public Market. Vendors at the Market do not need a solicitor’s license, but must have all other applicable inspections. Contact Cindy DeCoste at (585) 428-6907 or

Special Events

Vending is allowed within footprints of events that have been issued a permit by the Office of Special Events. Event organizers should deal directly with the Special Events Office when food trucks will be present. If you have any questions about food trucks at special events, call Kara Osipovitch at (585) 428-6733 or send her an email:  

Food Truck Program Report 2014 

Food Vending Chapter 60


More questions?

Contact the City Clerk's Licensing Office at (585) 428-6617 or fill out the Food Truck Question Form.